Horseplay & Harmony The Fundamentals Part 2 of 3
- Please note that this course has the following prerequisites which must be completed before it can be accessed
- Horseplay & Harmony – The Fundamentals: Part 1 of 3
The Horseplay Fundamentals: Part 2 – The Hug, the Smile and So Much More!
In this module, we are going to introduce some really fun horseplay tricks. We will go through both the basic hug and the more advanced hug in the first lecture. From there you will learn about the Stages of Learning a horse goes through while learning tricks and then be able to practice these stages while teaching your horse the Smile (always a crowd pleaser!).
After you have taught your horse a few tricks, you may find your equine friend is starting to get a bit pushy for food rewards. Don’t worry! It is normal this happens at first!! Horses must be taught to have appropriate food manners and we are here to help you with that. We will cover everything from why we use treats, discuss clicker training, which treats should you use, common problems with treat feeding, and the techniques to use to ensure your horse stays well mannered while treat feeding!
We will wrap up this horseplay course by teaching your horse how to move off basic pressure including how to move the shoulder, hindquarters, and ribcage of your horse independently. These techniques will become very important for Module 3!
What Will I Learn?
- Introducing your horse to easy to understand tricks (such as hugs and smiles) that are chosen to increase the confidence and 'try' behaviors you will need for later, more complex tricks.
- Learning to teach fundamental groundwork skills such as moving the shoulder, the hindquarters, and ribcage.
- Understand how to deal with food pushiness and what techniques can be used to teach food manners.